H Smith – Hidden Secrets of the Past

Whilst stripping out a shopfront at 156 St James Street we have come across an old painted sign name is H Smith Photographic Supplies.

We contacted Roger Frost who opened our eyes to H Smith and the wonderful history hidden away here.

The firm of H Smith, photographer’s supplies, first appears at 156, St James Street in an undated Commercial Directory, but from other information in the book, It is estimated to be of about 1956 or a year or so later. In the same book, H. Smith is included in the photographic apparatus dealers. They were not at 156 in 1953 but there was a photographer, W K Irving, at 156a in that year. The other occupants of 156, in 1953, were the Blackburn Assurance Co. Ltd. and the East Riding Wallpaper Co. Another Directory for 1953, which was published locally, gives 156 as being occupied by Studio Irving (Burnley) Ltd. This firm was a photographers, rather that a photographic apparatus dealer.

For more interesting information about the impressive history of Burnley visit our news section.

Or see our latest posts here –